Thursday, June 23, 2011

Caves, Kayaking and of course, Crochet!



I have travelled far, but I have returned...returned home. My husband and I took a turn in Wisconsin. We went to Door County to be exact. It is a pleasant place far from the city mind you, with lots of green leafy trees and a chance or two to look at the beautiful Lake Michigan. It was a good trip, full of some lazy days and busy days. One of the highlights of the trip was taking a spin in a kayak. We toured the coast of the  Green Bay side of the peninsula learning about Indians and their troubles with finding food and about a local shipwreck. These Indians were on the Bay looking for new food, but they got caught in a storm and all fell to it. These Indians were crossing what is now called "Death's Door" in between Washington Island and the most northern part of the peninsula. The shipwreck we saw was not quite as romantic of a story as the Indian tale. The ship was called the Fleetwing, the captain was looking for the "Death's Door" passage but since it was too foggy he mistook a different bluff for Table Bluff which is a landmark to enter the "Death's Door" passage. Fleetwing ran aground close to shore in Garrett Bay, crew and captain were able to row or wade to shore with all their belongings. They were even able to save most of the Fleetwing's cargo. Though Fleetwing ran aground close to shore she was unable to be saved, one gale helped seal her fate on shore, while the next pounded her to pieces. But she is fun to look at, just off shore in Garrett Bay! We could see her centerboard trunk and upper port hull, unfortunately we went out on a semi-stormy day and were unable to see more. To see some great pictures of this ship go to www.wisconsinsshipwrecks.org.

Besides the great adventure on the Bay we went to Cave Point county park to see caves being radically formed by Lake Michigan. These were easily seen on shore, though the kayak renting place allowed for a chance to see that from a kayak as well. We also snuck in time for some backwoods culture by going to a musical called "Lumberjacks in Love" which was about Wisconsin lumberjacks during the turn of the century and their mishaps with love. It was a great musical for a good laugh! It was given by American Folklore Theatre in Peninsula State Park.

While we were in Peninsula State park, we enjoyed the bike trails and paved roads for a relaxing bike ride. Just off the Sunset trail we were directed toward one of the many lighthouses located in Door County. It is the Eagle Bluff lighthouse. We were only able to see the lighthouse from the outside and its structure, we did not bring any money to go on the tour. Otherwise, you can see a wonderful view from its point on the bluff and view several islands not too far from it. You also can shop in the various little towns around Door County. But if you are a young adult like myself, you might not find many places to go, they are few and far between. But if you are looking for a home decor shop,there were plenty of places to shop for decor. I also found a neat yarn shop called Red Sock Yarn Shop. I was able to buy some beautiful yarn to make something fantastic!





Looking toward crochet, while away I was able to take lots of time and get a good start on a baby blanket I'm making. It's a granny square baby blanket. It has been fun learning this technique again as well as finding colors that would go well together. My main color is a mixture of white, pink, blue and yellow and my other "plain" colors are pastel pink, blue and yellow. I think despite the pink it would be a good blanket for any child, boy or girl. Over my vacation I was able to nearly finish the blue squares. Since that time I have been working furiously on them and they are finished. I now have most of my yellow squares done as well. In my last post I mentioned a trendy scarf I was working on. That is nearly finished! I had to stop because I ran out of yarn and I wanted to only bring one project on my vacation. The scarf stayed home while I pursued the baby blanket. But do not worry my friends, the scarf has more yarn and will be worked on as soon as possible.....even if its after the baby blanket, which is moving along splendidly. All in all, I think I'm settling back into things here at home. Trying to establish a routine before the summer is over and trying to be a constant companion to all of you who are crocheting or just checking in with me. If you asked my cat, he would tell you he is VERY happy we are home. Now he can meow as much as he wants and be heard! He also LOVES to be held and petted. He has spent quite a bit of time on my lap purring and being a nuisance as I'm trying to crochet. But that's a cat for you. Happy crocheting!


 














No comments:

Post a Comment